Sunday, January 23, 2011

In the beginning

I have been eating healthier now for approximately two weeks.  For me, this has meant focusing more on correct portion sizes and calorie intake.  I am also trying to add some whole grains and a variety of veggies back into my diet.  Baby steps.....

So far, I have managed to lose two pounds.  Considering that I was in Atlantic City for an anniversary trip last week, that's not too bad.  I did not eat very healthy in AC and this was immediately obvious to me when I did try to exercise.  I have started a program called 100 push ups and I was doing pretty well adding reps into my routine - until I tried it in AC.  After a night of not-so-careful eating, I could barely push myself off the ground.  Yikes!  Needless to say, I was happy to return to a more ordered eating structure when I came home.

Now, I just have to worry about fighting with my back.  I would love to add more to my workouts but I find that an hour of walking (with hills) on the treadmill is usually all I can handle.  On good days I try to put in an additional 15 minutes on the bike.  I also do some minor strength training - crunches, push ups and squats - a few times a week.  After 3 or 4 days of this my back usually requires a rest.  I do have a 6-inch scar and my doctor told me that it would take up to a year for those muscles to fully recover from the "trauma".

So, I am trying hard to be patient with myself.  I am NOT a patient person so this is my biggest obstacle.  In the past, this has led me straight to binging.  Now, though, I keep glancing at the brownies in the cupboard and reminding myself how much worse I will feel if I do indulge.  I hope I soon reach the point where everyday is no longer a battle.  I remain hopeful.

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say "Welcome to the blogland !" I hope writing helps you as you come to figure out the emotions behind your eating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gave you an award today, come claim it, welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elle. I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure how to claim an award? I will try to figure it out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete