Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What a Week...

Well, I guess it has actually been a little more than a week since my last post.  I did write a post a few days ago but didn't get it up before my computer shut down.  Meh....I didn't really like the post anyway.

So, last week I had a few "interesting" things happen that tested my commitment.

- My doctor cleared my last restriction (lifting).
- I subsequently lost my disability payments.
- I now need to pay a ridiculous amount of money to retain my health insurance.

I was laid off from my job shortly before Thanksgiving, when my protection under FMLA ran out (actually THE day it ran out).  The company is laying off a large number of people in March and saw the opportunity to give one less person a severance package.  I still had a minor lifting restriction at the time.  I had disability and my health care was going to cost $7 a month.

Not surprisingly, I am no longer eligible for disability and the health insurance discount.  In MA, health insurance is required and I have a pre-existing condition.  I am still trying to sort out what my options are as far as unemployment and state health care.....

I have also been trying to stay positive on the job front.  I started looking for jobs (on a different career path) before Christmas but it is a tough job market out there.  TONS of competitors.  Once the doctor cleared my restriction, I started looking in my former field - Biotech.  Of course, I am getting a lot more interest because I have more experience in the biotech field.  The problem is I was hoping not to return to the field.  I work as a technician in a clean room and it is INCREDIBLY hard on the back.  I knew so many people there with back problems.

Anyway, I will do what I must to pay the bills.  I have struggled being out of work this long and it has been contributing to my overall depression.  I come from a very blue collar background and have always worked hard for what I have.  I have never been out of work this long before.

The good news is I am continuing to lose weight.  This week has really shown me that my previous method of coping (i.e. avoidance) was not working.  I did try to eat a little extra candy or some ice cream a few times and you know what I felt.........even more empty.  It just made me feel sick and hollow inside.  So, I went to the gym and kicked my own butt.  My new method of "coping".

2 comments:

  1. It's both frustrating and liberating when your old coping mechanism does not work. So happy you kicked your own butt at the gym!

    So sorry to hear about your insurance woes, and being out of work. It has to be hard to keep your spirits up. Sending you lots of hope and positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It means a lot to have support right now!

    ReplyDelete