Sunday, January 23, 2011

On back surgery and being "too young"

While my problems with food began a long time ago, I have had more recent obstacles on my road to "recovery".  You see, I was actually on the road to a healthier lifestyle almost five years ago.  I had started a running program and I was starting to eat better.  I really enjoyed running and, despite being painfully slow and flat-footed, I was excited to finally find an exercise that I genuinely loved.  Then the back problems started.

I first noticed a dull ache in my lower back when I was traveling to a car race with my boyfriend.  I had just gotten a new car- a tiny, sporty little Miata that I was absolutely in love with.  I assumed that I was just "getting older" and my back had to get used to the seats.  Unfortunately, this was just the beginning of my problems.

After a month or more had passed and the back aches continued, I went to my primary care.  I was given a large dose of aspirin and told to come back if it persisted.  Unfortunately, it did.  I even started getting some sciatica (leg pain).  And so began three years of increasing pain, constant medication and an endless stream of doctors.

I was working as a technician at a drug company and my job was intensely physical.  My back pain got so bad that I used to take time out at work to go hide somewhere and cry.  Meanwhile, I was spending a lot of my free time in physical therapy, which didn't help.  I saw an endless stream of doctors - most of whom told me I was "too young to be in so much pain".  No kidding?  None of them wanted to perform something as drastic as surgery on someone who was only in their late twenties.  One rocket science even told me I was overweight and should exercise more.  When I asked him how I was supposed to do this, since I was in so much pain that I had to be on hard drugs to get through my days, he just shrugged and dismissed me.  This was the same doctor who a male friend had seen.  This friend of mine is easily 450lbs but I guess the doctor felt no need to lecture him on HIS weight.  (I was delighted to find out later from my primary care that this doctor is under investigation because of numerous patient complaints).

To make a long story short, this went on for three years.  Then my friend, who had told me all along I would probably need surgery, sent me to her doctor.  This particular friend is brutally honest and recommended me to this doctor because she trusted him not to "bullshit" her.  This recommendation turned out to be a godsend.  This doctor was also slightly hesitant to operate but, after hearing my story, agreed that I might need a spinal fusion.  I underwent some additional tests and found out I was a good candidate for this type of surgery.  The doctor told me I would never be pain free but the goal was to get me at least 50% better.  While this may sound like a small change, it was worth it for me.  At that point I was using a cane on a somewhat regular basis and vicodin was barely working for the pain.

I had spinal fusion surgery in July of last year.  Was it painful and difficult to recover from?  Yes.  Would I do it again?  Of course.  Aside from some persistent muscle spasms a month or so after surgery, my recovery went well.  I was up with a walker within two days of surgery.  Six weeks later I didn't even need my cane anymore.  It is a very difficult surgery to recover from but I think my age and determination played a big part. 

Walking is the best exercise for a back surgery patient - and I haven't stopped walking since I left the hospital.  Over the past six months, I have slowly worked up to walking 3.5 miles up to five times a week.  I was also able to start using an exercise bike again. 

One of the best things I have noticed about all this exercise is an overall improvement in my health.   I have not been sick with any sort of cold or infection since before my surgery.  This is pretty impressive for someone who used to get sick whenever someone sneezed near her. 

Now my goal is to link this new found appreciation for exercise with some healthier eating habits and some weight loss...

2 comments:

  1. I think acupuncture can heal anything, but a friend of mine who had a very similar surgery as you also found relief from it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I literally tried everything but acupuncture. Injections, chiropractor, etc with my last physical therapy course being an intensive one that took me completely off meds and kicked my butt. Surgery was not something I wanted but I feel comfortable knowing I did not go into it lightly. I felt it was better to try surgery in the end than stay on the nasty drugs I was constantly taking.

    ReplyDelete